Buying a new domain is always a good excuse to do something with it, so of course grabbing my
.dev seemed like a perfect idea
to set up a new blog. Also recently I’ve been dissatisfied with the way Medium has dealt with recent changes
(although I’m not going to go into all the reasons except to say I’d rather own and control all my content).
The site is Markdown powered, generated with Hugo and served via GitHub Pages with a CI deployment. I plan to keep the blog light and tracking free as possible (but I would like to know if anyone is reading at some point).
Over the course of the next few weeks, I’m planning to migrate some of existing content over to this site, mostly by updating some of the content - although there are some previous life posts I might just leave. Below are a set of links to some of that existing content.
Hopefully though those links you as a reader would see value in what I will be writing here; I’ve been writing software across various stacks for over 10 years and have gained a lot of experience in building many types of applications.
I’ve also had a lot of life experience and have also talked about burnout and depression. I’ve also recently been diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 37 and I am about to begin treatment for it in a foreign country. I’ve living in The Netherlands for just over two years, mostly due to the catastrophe that is the Brexit.
These topics might come up, but I will be mostly trying to focus on development topics. My current focus is on Typescript both on the server side, and client side with Angular, RxJS and other frameworks.
Blog Posts on Medium
- I made a huge mistake - A story about me taking on too much work and not communicating enough. My first real burnout story.
- Takeoff: A rapid development environment designed for hack days - In this post I announced Takeoff (and subsequent updates 1, 2, 3) a tool I’ve developed for prototyping application easily using docker compose and local source files.
- I could have been a contender - Projects I’ve abandoned, with my recent ADHD diagnosis these posts provide an insight into how it affects me.
- Music Markup - Web Components for Web Audio - Webcomponents! WebAudio! This post has it all, and with them I create a compostable keyboard using StencilJS to create reusable web components
- Dark patterns with the HTML 5.2 <dialog> tag and Chrome for fun and profit - Using and abusing the inbuilt
dialogtag in HTML5 to crash the users browser very easily, with some proposed solutions on how it could be fixed.
- Refactoring an old and broken library to using async/await with TDD - I refactored one of my nodejs modules and wrote a blog post on the process of publishing different versions of a node module using a CI pipeline.
- Typescript tip: Don’t use “naked any”, create an “any interface” instead - A Typescript tip for making types on the fly to handle situations where you don’t know the shape of the data.